“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Hunger Games Discussion Saturday: What's worse?



For those of you who don't know, The Hunger Games Discussion Saturdays is a weekly meme (hosted by us....it was our first meme EVER) and we basically just discuss The Hunger Games...we will continue to do so until we EXHAUST the topic...that may take a very long time. We have at LEAST until 2015 (Mockingjay part 2 movie release)





 

The question this week is:

What's worse? Reading the books out of order (by mistake!) or watching the movies before the books. (and about each thing...because both are flawed)



* Mari won't be posting for a couple weeks guys (sorry sorry!!) because she got a concussion and must rest her head! That means no blogging. Or even THINKING of discussing The Hunger Games! (we all know Mari gets a little excited when it comes to this) So she will be taking a small leave of absence. (although I'm sure she'll be biting at the bit to get back on and talk to you guys, she's got to rest so she can come back faster) *


...........................................................................................................................
Kait

I thought up this question recently when a favorite teacher of mine happened to say "Oh, I love The Hunger Games, it's very good! I've got ten pages left of Mockingjay! Is the last one as bad as everyone says? Because I'm about to start that one." and I thought...well maybe she got the titles mixed up..so I interjected with, "Mockingjay is the third one...you mean you have ten pages left of Catching Fire?" Yeah..well no. She read the third one second. I feel so bad because she was confused as to what was happening...so now she's like "Now I get it...that's why I had no idea what was going on." I somehow convinced her to read the second one anyway..even though she had messed it all up for herself... But the question is...do you think reading the books out of order is all that HORRIBLE? (it is awful...but) is it worse to see the movie before the book?

I'd like to say that reading them out of order is not as bad as watching the movie first (for reasons only being I'm against watching the movie first—especially for The Hunger Games—) but I think the real answer is that reading the books out of order is worse...because if you watch the movies first you can always go and read them after (I could argue all day about why that isn't a good idea regardless.) but if you read the books out of order than it's completely ruined..and if you aren't an avid reader than chances are you might just give up on reading the books altogether (that might not be such a problem with a reader who is addicted to the story because they would do anything to read them the right way) but either way it still was messed up for you as a reader and reading is more important than watching (and more interesting. You miss a lot through watching that you do through reading...which is why making books into movies can be impossible)

Anyway... what do you guys think about all of this? I know that was a lot. ; )

Happy reading! I'm going to go watch The Hunger Games....3 hours of bonus content, here I come!







Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...