“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Outlining: The Writers Keep Secrets

Hello lovely followers and those stopping by,

Today I have put together for you a small "rant" as you might call it.... its called:

Outlining: The Writers Keep Secrets

I find that when I go searching on any authors writing advice, they always mention “there are two types of writers. Those who fly by the seat of their pants, and those who outline.” They always say something in follow up along the lines of this “now either way is fine, whatever works for you. There are many different ways to outline and everyone does it differently, it’s a very controversial topic for writers, so I won’t tell you how I do it here.”—

Well no. No. Just no. I get that they give you the two writer types and that’s all great but say I have found out that I am in fact writer type two. I need to outline. This is what I’m saying: Would someone PLEASE TELL ME HOW I GO ABOUT DOING THAT. That was something I said for years, if all writers skirted the subject while writing advice, how on earth was I ever going to actually learn what an outline was, let alone how to write one? Once I had collected enough information to confirm that in outline was in fact a planning of the novel I truly couldn’t find a single author who would tell me straight up (or even tell me…) how to do one. They always said “oh well there are many different ways—“Well that’s all fine and dandy but would you please just explain it to me, because I really would like to know at least ONE WAY how to do it, rather than keep it some author secret that only they know…I feel that everyone got this huge handout on everything writer except me. Everyone knows how to outline, they know the vocab, they know how the editing process works exactly…where can I buy this handbook?

I did find out a way of outlining that I liked, after googling for three hours someone eventually explained various methods and I am satisfied, but for the longest time…no one would go into detail except for the vague: “there are so many different ways”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...