“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Monday, December 10, 2012

Reviews: My thoughts on some...

Good day lovely readers,

I am writing a spur of the moment post on "reviews" right now...because of the late I've come across some not too nice ones that I feel I personally need to address how it effects me...and most likely others as well as the author.

In attempt not to call out on the reviewer/book I will change a few details here.

At some point someone told ___insert author here___ they could write. That person should apologize to me, in person, and to all other poor souls who were suckered into buying this mess of a book.

Now I find that extremely inappropriate to have written for several reasons. Yes you can ABSOLUTELY state your negative opinion on the book and how you did not care for it. But being this harsh does many things to many people.

1. It doesn't say very nice things about you...if you're going to write a review you want to be as delicate with the harsh as possible...because it's an opinion and people have different ones. so maybe there was someone who truly loved this book you just bashed. Not cool.

2. The author has feelings too. And there is a chance that they did not read this review you published... but if they did...would you be able to say those things to their face? You can't hide behind the Internet.

3. This is very insulting to me as an author to-be...and I hurt for the author of this book. To say that someones writing doesn't live up to your standards...ok...that's alright, but to go and say that the very person who encouraged this authors dreams should apologize to you for making you suffer through their writing? I'm not ok with that. As an aspiring author that truly pains me... most likely this person does not know the trials of writing a book...and the controversy over the topic too.

Overall I'd just like to say: be careful what you say in your reviews. Because a lot of the time...you alter peoples decision to read or not to read a book...and you want to be as unbiased as possible so people can make their own decisions.


3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about all the negative reviews out there.

    I always find something significant in every book I read. So why just focus on the parts you didn't like in a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can always find something. Thats why I split my reviews into "what I liked" and "what i didn't like" because it makes for a simpilar review and I can highlight the key points of what I didn't like and counter with good things. I cna't stand the nasty reviews. I feel bad :(

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I agree with you Kait... like how your sticking up for the author!!! :)

    -Maddie

    ReplyDelete

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...