“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Variant by Robison Wells

Variant (Variant, #1)Variant by Robinon Wells
Summary from: goodreads.com

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape--his only real hope for survival--may be impossible.






..........................................................................................................................

I finished this book about a week ago and for a reason I wasn't 100% sure of I felt like I NEEDED the next installment. I expected this book to be different...I really did but I was surprisingly happy with what it turned out to actually be. This book is LOADED with completely shocking twists and turns. It holds somethings I guarantee you could not have predicted. (if you read this book and predicted the secret...please tell me...because you are amazing.)

I gave this book....................................


 
 
FOUR STARS!! It got this because this book wasn't exceptionally memorable but I know it kept me flying by the seat of my pants the whole read. It was a can't-put-down and I can't say I hated it at all. This book is totally a worthy read.
 
 
What I didn't like: There's nothing I can think of that was terribly upsetting to me... I don't know if I completely enjoyed the plot twist. It made the protagonist's love interest dwindle from the story if those who have read this know what I mean... (I don't really count that as a spoiler..) the only thing I really didn't love is that I could forget this story... I haven't seen this kind of thing done before but it feels a bit forgettable. (and it was not what I expected...and I'm not sure it was better than what I expected...but it was not worse. Just average)
 
What I did like: I loved the concept. Some of the theories and big questions were provoking and really made you think..."what would I do in this situation?" I've heard people call it 'Lord of the Flies boarding school' and I agree it is, I completely agree. When I was reading it I kept thinking "this feels Hunger Games-y...but not quite" that's when I read about it being compared to Lord of The Flies and I was like "That's it! It's a modern Lord of the Flies." And I love anything like that. Anything that puts humanity out there to be tested.
 
I loved Benson. Woah man. I feel like he sounds/narrates and looks like Percy Jackson...am I the only one?
 
 
and the paintball! I couldn't wait for the times they would play paintball....I just awaited it the whole book. (I seriously want to start playing paintball right about now...anyone else?)
 
 
 
Overall this book had fantastic writing, a fresh new sci-fi version of Lord of the Flies and it was superb.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...